Alt: How Do I Configure Outlook to Delete the Messages Off the Server After They are Picked Up?
When using POP email, people generally configure their email client (Outlook) to delete the emails from the server. If this is not done, you may receive the same emails over and over.
To set up Outlook to delete the emails after it has delivered them to your inbox, do the following:
1. Open Outlook (or Outlook Express)
2. Click the Tools menu item in the top menu bar. The menu will expand to show more items.
3. Click the Accounts menu item in the list that has appeared. The Internet Accounts screen will appear.
4. Click the email account name under the Account column you wish to check/configure. When selected, the Account name will be highlighted.
5. Click the Properties button on the right. (Some versions, you will select the “Change” button rather than “Properties”). The email account’s Properties screen appears.
6. Click the Advanced tab at the top of the screen. The Advanced settings for the Account appear. (In some versions, you will need to click “More Settings” to before being able to select the advanced tab).
7. In the bottom section of the Advanced tab screen, under Delivery, there is a check box beside “Leave a copy of messages on server”.
Uncheck the box to allow Outlook to delete the messages on the server after delivery
8. Click the Ok button at the bottom when you have finished. Internet Accounts screen is visible again.
9. Click the Close button in the bottom right.
The Internet Accounts screen will close.
That’s it, you are done.